Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hydralic Hose replacement (Read 63 times)
philipb78
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Hydralic Hose replacement
10.10.2021 at 09:36:13

Hi !
I recently picked up  Tiger Rag (17) all was ok the keel wasnt holding on ram alone , was going to get it looked at but as per usual things get worse before they get better . I lost all pressure and dropped suddenly after taking the pin out.  No damage thankfully but the winter job is now the autum job!

The keel now isnt lifting . thankfully i'm on a mooring on a lake so I don't need to urgently lift it .

I'm assuming it's the hydraulic pipe it looks original as i've filled up oil and it's just pumping away with no pressure. I purchased a new line and  i've mated the old up with the new and tried pulling it through but it's not pulling at the ram end  , possibly caught. It seems to go back then round under the seat and catching. I was thinking of cutting an access hole  under the starboard  seat in the cabin beside the keel  to help pull through (and inspect the bilge which also seems to be rather hidden and I'm assuming full of hydraulic oil!).

How have others done this and any advice/comment? Would be much appreciated before I start drilling and cutting holes Smiley

IP Logged
Jonathan
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
Re: Hydralic Hose replacement
Reply #1 - 13.10.2021 at 17:01:39

I had to reroute the hydraulic hose on Azurian some years back - I think it must have been the original 1980 hose but a lot of the rubber outer casing had disintegrated leaving a fabric covered plastic tube. In my case a previous owner had filled all the voids under the inner moulding with foam as apparently he had had a boat sink under him. This trapped the hose so I had no other option. To the best of my recollection I led the new hose down the starboard side between the inner moulding and the hull and had to drill to bring it out at the foot of the ram but all is out of sight.

I know I was careful to make sure the hose was protected against chafe where it went through my drilled holes. I have never dismantled or serviced the ram itself in 30 years of ownership and it works fine without leaks. I have had to attend to the pump several times however. It depends on valves which consist of small ball bearings held into seats by springs or held in place by the screw to pump or release.
A tiny foreign body lodging where one of these balls sits means you get no pressure.

It could pay to check the washer on the pump piston. In my case it leaked a bit when I bought the boat and eventually failed altogether which caused some loose fragments to lodge just where they stopped the valves working. It only needs to be a tiny bit. I got a replacement from an agricultural engineer as they have lots of hydraulic equipment to deal with and that has worked fine ever since with no leaks.

I found the on off screw benefits from a little ptfe tape on the thread as it stopped a minor leak there. I used paraffin to flush out the pump and reservoir. From experience I have learned it pays to keep the reservoir topped up as it holds little in reserve so if the level drops you get air in the system which is compressible and limits performance. I don't lose fluid through leaks but find the keel must be lowered very slowly as if too fast a jet of oil spurts out of the breather hole in the filler cap so some is lost.

I intend to visit the boat at the weekend so if I spot anything more I should add will do so.

IP Logged
philipb78
Seaman Recruit

Love the water !

Re: Hydralic Hose replacement
Reply #2 - 15.10.2021 at 20:45:13

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for the info , managed to get access although couldn't get the old one pulled through or the old one pulled out . so just ran the new one down  in a similar fashion to  what you had suggested.

All worked great no leaks and holding like a champ now. Least I'll be able to replace it in 20 minutes the next time and keep an eye on it.  The old one had burst , looked to be rotted rightly where it was living in the bilge!

Put the new pump on for good measure . Getting a new strop made up before I put all the keel mouldings back on . Little bit wiser how it's all put together now anyways !

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print