Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Trapper Owner Association
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advice needed about keel- v close to buying ! (Read 311 times)
JoeCaston
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Advice needed about keel- v close to buying !
15.03.2022 at 10:40:53

So, I managed to get inside her recently. She's apparently number 4, so a very early model from 1980 I reckon. How on earth do I post photos up? Its says I cannot post until I've already posted 6 posts? hmmmm

There are 2 photos of the ‘new’ keel box that the current owner said was fitted 20 years ago. Cannot work out if this is galvanized or stainless. Can anyone figure it out?

I managed to open up the inspection hole on the side of keel housing and this is what I saw:
The rusty block and 'ok looking' cable that runs over it, and some photo of nylon rollers and general structure.

What I was unable to photograph was something that concerned me a bit. Slightly further down the housing was a smaller round opening that held the keel pin. It looked pretty rusty down there and the hole around the pin looked dangerously close to the edge of the metal structure around it. I’m trying to work out what part of the keel box does the pin go through? Is it another part of the keel? Im confused…

The owner says says the hydraulics are all in order and she raises with about 90 pumps and I believe him, seems like a really nice fella.

What do you think? Does keel box need replacing ASAP? Will it last a while longer? If I need a new one are there still fabricators out there? And roughly how much will it cost?

So many questions ! I really want this boat and if I don’t buy something soon the money will be spent on a new boiler or double glazing or some such nonsense…what I don’t was though is a boat I cant afford to get on the water.

Thanks all !

« Last Edit: 15.03.2022 at 10:42:15 by JoeCaston »  
  IP Logged
JoeCaston
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Re: Advice needed about keel- v close to buying !
Reply #1 - 15.03.2022 at 10:44:13

If anyone is feeling kind and wants to see the photos then I can send via email or whatever, but this forum wont allow photos for love nor money.

IP Logged
Paul
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 15.03.2022 at 23:19:20

Joe,
Difficult to advise without photos and better still being there.
Re replaced keel box _ does owner know or claim to know what material used?
You can scratch thru galvanising and wet and see if rust develops. Don't forget to clean off and cold galvanise paint.

The lower item where pin is is probably a piece of square mild steel plate used to stop pin wearing thru the grp by being firmly fixed to the grp with screws and or epoxy.. There is quite a load on the pin if hydraulics not 100 percent.

Remember rust thickness is around 16 times thickness of steel converted. It is normal if mild steel not painted or galvanised for some surface rust.( think of car brake discs after they get wet before brake used )
Paul

IP Logged
JoeCaston
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Reply #3 - 16.03.2022 at 07:34:35

Cheers Paul. I will scratch to check it.
I’ve private messaged you with some photos.

IP Logged
Jonathan
Very Old Salt

I Love YaBB 2!

Bromley
Reply #4 - 25.03.2022 at 12:49:04

Hi Joe,

You may have found your answer by now. But how about this - if you can get inside the keel casing try a magnet on the top box if no attraction it is definitely stainless - a magnet will stick to galvanized.

It sounds to me as if the hydraulics may need attention. Azurian only takes 55-60 pumps to fully raise so I suspect a couple of things. The piston washer may need replacing though if badly worn it will probably leak so there may be good evidence. Once replaced mine does not leak at all but it may depend on the viscosity of oil used.

Alternatively there may be air in the system. This can happen if the oil level in the reservoir drops too low. Air compresses so you do not get the full lift for each pump stroke. When I top up I fill right to the overflow point as there does not seem to be much reserve capacity. You can lose oil if you let the keel down too fast as some will bubble out of the breather hole in the filler cap. Also there might be a bit of dirt interfereing with one of the valves in the pump. It is not too difficult to get this out and give it a flush - if it has not been done it might be well worthwhile.

IP Logged
Excelsior
Seaman Apprentice

Love the water !

Reply #5 - 08.04.2022 at 17:03:22

Hi. I am Excelsior.  Please look at my earlier posting regarding the keel box.  My boat is number three.  I have just had a new box fabricated in 316 stainless, to my full size drawings.  It looks superb but was eye wateringly expensive!.  I believe the cost was high due to the fabricator having to buy sheets of the materials.  I suspect there is sufficient left over to produce at least one more box.  I will be seeing the fabricator again next week, (the factory is only half a mile from my home).  If he has enough material to make another box, we may both benefit with a cost reduction.  Please let me know if you are interested,  I will get back next week with a costing if there is enough material and you are interested.
Keith

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print